Witness appeal after a break in from a garden shed in Sun Lane, Riseley.
We would like your help after a someone broke into a garden shed sometime over night between the 6th May and the 7th May. A jet washer was taken.
If you have any information that can help please contact the police on 101 and give reference: 43180137562. You can also contact Crimestopper's anonymously on 0845 555 111.
Opportunist thieves identify sheds as easy pickings because they are unprotected and lack basic security measures.
The buildings often contain property that can be sold on or implements that can be used to force entry into the owner’s home.
What can you do?
Many people fall short on basic security of their sheds.
Please make sure you:
• Keep your shed in good condition
• Fit a closed shackle padlock to the door
• Fittings should be bolted through the door and any screws concealed
• It is easy to unscrew the ironmongery, steal contents and in some cases replace the screws to make it look as if the shed has not been tampered with
• By using tamper proof screws or coach bolts, together with a good quality pad bar or hasp and staple and close shackled padlock, the shed owner will make it harder for the would-be thief.
• Bond any window glass in with mastic to prevent easy removal. Fit grilles or mesh to windows to slow down the thief.
• Ensure all equipment and tools are locked away when not in use
• Install a shed alarm
• Post-code or mark all property such as lawnmowers, bikes, and tools using ultraviolet pens, forensic marking such as Selecta DNA, Smartwater or engravers.
• Install security lighting as a deterrent, and plants such as thorny shrubs to act as a barrier at potential access points
• If building a shed, put it where it is most visible to you and neighbours
• Ensure ladders are locked to a secure fixture in the shed or garage so they can’t be used to reach top floor windows
• Chain large items such as bicycles together, making it much more difficult for a thief to carry away
• Fit a wire cage inside the shed where more expensive items can be locked away.
No thief wants to hang about longer than they have to so delay the time it will take