Please check your garden, shed and outbuilding security to reduce the chance of your home being burgled – Bicester
At this time of year many of us are busy working in our gardens.
While doing this it’s easy to forget that a few simple steps could reduce the risk of your home being burgled:-
- Make sure that you lock garden gates – side and rear if you have them and that locks can’t be easily access by reaching over the gate.
- Use a good quality lock on your sheds, outbuildings and garages and consider fitting anti-tamper screws on the hinges.
- Consider using a shed alarm – which can be purchased from most garden centres or DIY stores.
- Lock away small hand tool, spades and forks etc – these could be used to force entry to your home.
- Lock ladders up, so they can’t be used to access first floor windows.
- Report anyone acting suspiciously, at the time that you see them. Try to get a description of them and details of any vehicle they might be using, especially the registration number. Call us on 101, or 999 if a crime is actually happening.
Taking a few extra precautions can prevent your gardening tools giving opportunist burglars an easy time getting into your home.
Thank you for taking a few minutes to help us beat opportunist burglars.
Sent by Bicester Rural Neighbourhood Policing Team